Translate

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

MYSTERIES OF THE FAITH

MYSTERY
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. JOHN 16:12


Is it not a fact that there is nothing the heart of man rebels against so much as the sense of mystery? The rebellion against mystery is that by which man has beaten his way into new discoveries which on the other side have been new revelations from God. And yet we have to admit that the mystery is still there, in every department of life. There is no pathway that I travel along before I come face to face with mystery. But mystery is another word for human limitation. Finally, there is no mystery. At the heart of mystery is intelligence. “God is Light, and in Him is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5). That is the great and essential word that denies mystery. Mystery to me, surely yes! Mystery in every flower that blossoms, and every day that comes. More mystery I think within my own personality than anywhere outside it. Mystery, yes, but not to God. At the heart of the mystery is the Light. Behind the clouds through which gleams of glory break occasionally upon our waiting vision is the Light itself. As God is essential Light, so Jesus Christ, God incarnate, is Light. He said upon one occasion, “I am the Light of the world.” He brought into human life all that human life needs of illumination, of instruction, and of intelligence. So to Him in the things that I desire to know there is no mystery. “I have yet many things to say,” and the things that are mysteries to me He holds in trust for me, and He holds them in order that I may know them; the essential light is to come in gleam after gleam until it burns to the eternal brightness upon my life. He holds in trust, but He reveals them to me line by line, and precept by precept as I am able to bear. To my own heart this morning that is a foundation for faith.

The thing which today is a mystery to me, tomorrow will be a revelation. The very veil that prevents my seeing through to the heart will resolve itself into the method of revelation soon. Things that are too bright for me to see at this point for the feebleness of a sinner’s sight, He veils in love, but my heart says in the presence of the veiled mystery, He knows, He holds in trust the things He holds for the moment!
Consequently I wait in my limitation by faith in Him. But Love, standing before me in this Man Who is also God, says to me, I know these things, troubled heart. There are things you do not know, and I have them to say to you, but you cannot bear them yet. The reason of My withholding is not capricious. It is not that you are to be perpetually shut out from final knowledge concerning all your problems. It is because your eyes are not ready for the light. The mind is not trained to grasp, is not prepared for the apocalypse. I have the things to say, but you are not yet able to bear them. If that be the basis of faith, it is also the secret of peace. His very chastisements are grievous, but afterward I learn that the very processes of His discipline are leading me into larger capacity for revelation.
If we hear Him say, “I have many things to say unto you, but ye cannot hear them now,” we ought to reply, “Oh, Master, prepare us to receive them. Give us eyes to see, and ears to hear, and hearts to respond with that revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment