Translate

Saturday, October 25, 2014

THE METHOD OF INSPIRATION

THE METHOD OF INSPIPATION

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
 
What was the process by which the inspired Bible has been given to us by God?
2 Pet. 1:21 (R.V.):
“The Spirit of God moved” in the presence of the primeval waters of the newly created cosmos, and it became vibrant with pulsating energy and activity. In somewhat analogous fashion, the Spirit of God moved the hearts, minds and pens of the holy (that is, called and set apart) men of God, and the Scriptures were formed, proceeding from the eternal mind of God to be revealed to His creatures.

1. Denies that Scripture originated from human initiative. "....no prophecy ever came by the will of man"
2. Affirms that its real source is from God. "but men spake from God"
3. Explains how men could speak, and yet not speak from themselves. "being moved by the Holy Spirit"
"moved"  This word is somewhat inadequate in conveying the idea of the Greek word (jeromenoi). The thought is that these men were caught up and borne along, so that they were enabled to interpret the past and the present and the future from the Divine standpoint in order to get men into right ways before God. Even here they were not machines, but through human personality were Divinely illuminated and instructed.
A revelation which is unintelligible is no revelation.
As the revelation is made in oral communication and in written words, in articulate words and intelligible language-language intelligible to its first hearers and readers-it follows that the words in this revelation must have been used according to the rules of language then prevalent, the users logiuondi  of that day, according to the meaning or sense of the words to those to whom the language was vernacular. Otherwise the communication could not have been understood by them. If so, the Bible would no longer be a revelation, but a concealment of God's will. But the Bible was authored by human inspired authors. They wrote or spoke so as to be understood, using words, whether literally or figuratively, in the sense in which general usage employs them. For if this principle of interpretation were not correct, there could be no duty of private interpretation.

Question: Were the men who wrote Scripture always conscious that they were being "borne along"?
No, But contra. Jer. 20:9, Ezek. 3:4, 12, 14, 16, 22, 24-27
Jer. 20:9 "His word was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones."
Ezek. 3:4, 12, 14, 16, 22, 24-27 "And he said unto me, Son of man, go, get thee unto the house of Israel, and speak with my words unto them. "
"Then the spirit took me up, and I heard behind me a voice of a great rushing, saying, Blessed be the glory of the LORD from his place."
"And it came to pass at the end of seven days, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,"
"And the hand of the LORD was there upon me; and he said unto me, Arise, go forth into the plain, and I will there talk with thee."
"Then the spirit entered into me, and set me upon my feet, and spake with me, and said unto me, Go, shut thyself within thine house. But thou, O son of man, behold, they shall put bands upon thee, and shall bind thee with them, and thou shalt not go out among them: And I will make thy tongue cleave to the roof of thy mouth, that thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be to them a reprover: for they are a rebellious house. But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house."

No comments:

Post a Comment