Translate

Saturday, October 18, 2014

TESTIMONY OF O.T. WRITERS CONCERNING INSPIRATION

THE TESTIMONY OF THE BIBLE WRITERS
Introduction
"Thus said the Lord" - "The Lord spake"

Did other men display any consciouness of special divine authority in what they wrote?
This question covers all the men who wrote the Bible.

 

 
THE OLD TESTAMENT WRITERS
Note the use of certain authoritative formulas
"Thus said the Lord" - "The Lord spake" - over 2,000 times
Ordinary writers do not make such claims, not even the most audacious.
cf. Exodus 5-14, first verses in each chapter.
Ex. 5:1; 6:1, 2, 10, 13.
"Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness."
"Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land."
"And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:"
"And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,"
"And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, and gave them a charge unto the children of Israel, and unto Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt."

Isaiah 20 times declares his writings are "the word of the Lord" cf. Isa. 1:10
"Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah."

Jeremiah almost 100 times says, "The word of the Lord came unto me." cf. Jer. 1:2, 4
"To whom the word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign."
"Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,"
Ezekiel makes same claim 60 times. cf. Ezek. 3:16
"And it came to pass at the end of seven days, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,"

Daniel claims his writings are an inspired record of words and visions from God. cf. Dan. 9:21-23; 10:10-11
"Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to show thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision."
"And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands. And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling."

Hosea, Joel, Jonah, Micah, Zephaniah, Haggai, and Zechariah, all begin with an inspired statement.
"...came the word of the LORD unto..."
Malachi, small book of only four chapters, uses phrase "saith the Lord" 25 times, cf. Mal. 1:1-2
"The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi. I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,"

No comments:

Post a Comment