Translate

Monday, May 2, 2016

THE DEFINITION OF THE BASIS FOR THE PERPETUATION OF FEETWASHING

The Definition of the Basis for the Perpetuation of Feetwashing

"If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."
John 13:14-16

ld. The Moral obligation based upon the fact that Christ is Lord. Vs.14
"Since therefore I myself washed your feet, the Lord and the Teacher, also you yourselves ought of one another to keep on washing feet."

The word ought signifies a moral obligation preceding from authority. For the most part the word is translated by the word owe or ought. But it has such other renders as: debtor, guilty, duty, must needs, due, should, are bound, and behaved.
cf. Matt. 18:24; 1 Cor. 5:10; 2 Thess. 1:3

Since, as Lord, His authority is sufficient, it is the moral obligation of the servant to obey the command.

No comments:

Post a Comment