THE CENTRAL PLACE IN THE THREEFOLD COMMUNION SERVICE – LORD’S SUPPER
1. The gospels make it absolutely certain that there were three events which took place during the final evening Christ spent with His disciples before His crucifixion. It is also clear concerning the, order of those events. The feetwashing took place at the very beginning. This was followed by a meal, and there followed immediately thereafter the Eucharist of the bread and the cup.
2. For centuries these three forms were followed by the church. Then changes were introduced in the practice of the church, but the forms continue even to this present hour in one form or another, and in varying order and observance.
3. Of recent date a movement has been under way within our own Brethren Fellowship to change the order and arrangement of these forms, and perhaps eventually to drop the feetwashing and the Lord's Supper. This movement issued in the formation of a committee to study the Biblical teaching on these forms and to bring a report to National Conference. The report was heard at the recent conference although no action was taken and the committee was continued.
4. As a result of these disturbances, I, Herman Hoyt, have done some further study on my own. Along with Dr. McClain we fought for these things 45 years ago, and that controversy issued in the formation of the National Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches. As for myself, I have not moved from that conviction, and I want to give you the benefit of my study of most recent date.
5. Further disturbances has brought about the Formation of the Conservative Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches. All these disturbances are attacks on the Master and Lord of John 13:13. "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am." Attacks on His authority to Lead and Teach.