Translate

Monday, November 17, 2014

CLAIMS MADE BY CHRIST ONLY TRUE OF GOD

CLAIMS ARE MADE BY CHRIST FOR HIMSELF WHICH COULD BE TRUE ONLY OF ONE WHO IS GOD

(The following list of claims is not in any sense exhaustive, but includes those claims not placed under other headings.)
 
 
 
Christ Claimed Absolute Authority Over the Laws and Institutions of God
The Law of Moses
  •          Matt. 5:31-34, 38-39 (cf. Matt. 7:28-29) "It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:" "And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: For He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes."
The Temple
  •          Matt. 12:6 "But I say unto you, That in this place is One greater than the temple."

The Sabbath
  •          Matt 12:8 "For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day."
The Kingdom
  •          Matt. 16:19 "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
He Claimed to be the Supreme Object of Saving Faith Equally With the Father
  •          John 10:30 "I and my Father are one."
  •          John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."
  •          John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
  •          John 21:15-22 "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me."
At Times Christ Pointed to Himself Alone as the True Object of Men's Faith and Devotion, With no Mention of the Father
  •          Matt. 4:19 "And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."
  •          Matt. 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
  •          John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."
(Contrast the Apostle Paul in 1 Cor. 4:16 and 11:1)

Our Lord Insisted That the Highest and Most Precious of Human Ties and Devotion Must Yield to Him
  • Matt. 10:37 - father or mother. . .son or daughter
  • Luke 14:26 - wife and children. . .brothers and sisters, his own life also

He Claimed That in Himself All the Deepest Spiritual and Eternal Needs of Humanity are Completely Satisfied
  •          The knowledge of God (Matt. 11:27) "All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him."
  •          The way to God (John 14:6) "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
  •          The door to salvation (John 10:7-9) "Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."
  •          Light for the soul (John 8:12) "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."
  •          The water of life (John 7:37) "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink."
  •          The bread of God (John 6:35, 51) "And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." "I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
  •          Rest for the soul (Matt. 11:28-29) "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."
  •          Spiritual guidance (John 10:11) "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."
  •          Security from danger (John 10:28-30) "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."
  •          Fruitbearing energy (John 15:5) "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."
  •          Life and Resurrection (John 11:25-26) "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment