Translate

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

DYNAMIC FOR THE LAODICEA CHURCH

The Dynamic for the Laodicea Church
"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."
 
 
For this church, the hardest battle had to be fought and therefore the greatest reward was promised. The Lord realizes that life in such a church provides the greatest difficulty of all. In this atmosphere of peace, plenty, compromise, and lukewarmness, the most subtle and terrible peril besets the saint. So Christ makes to him the most gracious and remarkable promise of all. Beyond this promise neither hope nor imagination can go.

The Promise to the Overcomer
"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne....."

The Obstacle They Must Overcome
They are attempting to take everything easy.
There is no compassion, no enthusiasm.
There is desire to have a good name in society.
They do not want to suffer any reproach.
They do not want to give up the world to have Christ.
They want the soothing salve of religion without the distress and sacrifice of virile Christianity.

The Overcoming to Which They are Called
There is hatred and persecution one must bear if joined to Christ (John 15:18-20).
"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you." "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." "Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also."

There is suffering and trouble for those who would serve with Christ (2 Tim. 2:9-13).
"Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound." "Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory." "It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:" "If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:" "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."

There is reproach for those who would leave the organized camp to go out to Christ (Heb. 13:12-14).
"Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate." "Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach." "For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come."

The Outcome of Such Overcoming is Blessed
There is a place of intimate fellowship with the Lord Jesus. "With Me" is the expression pointing to intimate participation with him. This place of most intimate participation is the highest place He could offer, namely the place of authority along with Him in His throne. As the queen, the bride will occupy the palace some day (2 Tim. 2:12).
"If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us."

The Pattern for the Overcomer
"...even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."
Christ does not ask the bride to go where He has not been, nor to do what He has not done, nor to do anything without marking out the way.
The Obstacle He Had to Overcome
"Even as" (wV kagw)
The offer of the kingdom to Him by Satan (Matt-4:8-10). To reach the crown without a cross.
"Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;" "And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me." "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."

The same suggestion by the disciples (Matt. 16:21-23). Spare thyself without a needless outpour­ing of life.
"From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day." "Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee." "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

The longings of the flesh to escape the strenuous life. "Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass" (Matt. 26:39).
"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

The Overcoming Which the Lord Performed
"Even as I also overcame."
To Satan he said, "Get thee behind me" (Matt. 4:10). To Peter he said, "Get thee behind me, Satan" (Matt. 16:23).

To the Father he said, "As thou wilt" (Matt. 26:39). To the disciples in the upper room he said, "Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

The Outcome of This Great Victory
"And am set down with my Father in his throne."
"Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him" (Phil. 2:9-11).
"We see Jesus . . . crowned with glory and honor" (Heb. 2:9).
"Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill" (Psa. 2:6).
Christ is in that throne today and in his time the authority of the throne will be extended over the entire universe (Psa. 2:7-12).
"I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee." "Ask of me, and I shall give to thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession." "Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel." "Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth." "Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling." "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

No comments:

Post a Comment