Translate

Friday, June 6, 2014

DIAGNOSIS OF THE PHILADELPHIA CHURCH BY THE KING

The Diagnosis of the Philadelphia Church and its Condition

"I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee." "Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth."

The King declares, "I know thy works." This must be weighed over against the opportunity, the ability to respond, and the opposition encountered.

The Opportunity Opened for this Church
"I have set before thee an open door."

The opportunity was provided by the power of God. "I have set" I have given (dedwka)

In no sense was this open door a result of the genius and wisdom of the church.

The opportunity was in the presence of the church. "before thee" before your eyes (enwpion)

This means that the church could see and appreciate the meaning of the open door.

The Opportunity was one made Permanent for that Church. "an open door" a door having been opened (hnewgmenhn hn oudeiV)

It had been opened and would continue to remain open.
 
The Opposition Confronting the Church
"I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee."
The Source of the Opposition was the Synagogue of Satan
"Them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie."

This same group was presented in Smyrna (2:9). They claim to be Jews, and are only so far as the flesh is concerned (Rom. 2:28-29; John 8:39, 40). But to be true Jews, they lied. But they were the deadliest enemies of the Christian faith. Actually they were the synagogue of Satan. At every turn they tried to hinder or stamp out the faith.

The Failure of the Opposition was Because of Christ
"And no man can shut it."

In this statement Christ is making it clear that the power of man was unable to shut the door He had opened.

The ability of the church to grasp the opportunity.
"For thou hast a little strength."

The word for strength is the word for power to produce results (dunatai).

It is described here as a little power. This does not refer to the possession of the Holy Spirit. His power is as great as ever. But it probably does refer to the type of people in the church, the level of society, the material possession, the number who make up the congregation. In this sense the church lacked almost everything necessary to make an impact upon the community.

The Response to the Opportunity
"...and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name."
They Displayed Piety in Conduct
"And hast kept my word."

This does not have reference to the mere letter of the Word of God, but to the meaning. The word "logos" is used to indicate its logic or meaning. This was a principle, a passion of their lives.

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience" (10a). Again Christ refers to their conduct. In this sense they were separated from this world with its pollutions and had their eyes on that coming day.
They Maintained Purity of Doctrine
"And hast not denied my name."

A name refers to all a person is. Christian doctrine is the statement of what Christ is. Hence, not to deny His name is to hold steadfastly to the faith in the face of all kind of blasphemy. In this doctrine is the great truth of Christ's love for His Church, as exhibited at Calvary, which truth the Jews tried to destroy. But they stood up against all the onslaughts of the Jews and refused to deny Christ's name.

The Outcome of this Loyal Response
"Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee." "Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." 

Humiliation of the Enemies of Christ
"Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved."

They will be Compelled by Force
"I will make them to come."

The enemies will not respond willingly. Christ will speak the word of authority that will cause them to come immediately into the presence of the church.

They will make confession in worship. "And worship before thy feet."

This is subjugation and the recognition of Christ as they only true God and Savior.
They will be Convinced of Their Crime
"And to know that I have loved you."

They will not only be confronted with the true God in Christ but also the fact that the minis­try of love at the cross was also the crime of their own people.

Translation of the Church out of the World (Rapture)
"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." "Behold, I come quickly"

Undoubtedly the promise of this verse had some partial fulfillment in escape from some wave of persecution that swept over that district. But its final and complete fulfillment will be realized by those who, loyal to his Word, shall be gathered out of this world at his second coming, the rapture.

The Persons who shall be Translated
"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience."

The keeping of this word was not to obtain the experience of rapture. They did this because of their loyalty to Christ. But this keeping of the word proves their identity as true believ­ers, and true believers shall be caught away at the coming of Christ for his church.

The Peril from which Believers shall be Protected

 This peril will cover a brief period of time. "Hour" (wraV)

This peril will be severe in character. "temptation" or trial (peirasmou)

This peril is a specific time of trial. "the hour of the temptation."

This peril is possible on any moment. "which shall come" "which is about to come." Both words are present tense. (ercesqai)

This peril will be universal in its extent. "Upon all the world" (epi thV oikoumenhV) This refers to the inhabited part of the earth (Luke 2:1; Acts 17:31).
"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed."
"Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead."

This peril is intended for earth dwellers. "Them that dwell upon the earth." This would seem to include those whose attach­ments are exclusively with the earth.

The Event Which Shall Bring all this into Focus
"Behold, I come quickly."

The coming of Christ will result in the rapture of the church.
The coming of Christ will usher the world into tribulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment