Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2018

FRIENDSHIP DEFINED BY GOD

FRIENDSHIP DEFINED BY GOD


"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" Prov. 17:17


This is the one full and final definition of FRIENDSHIP. Personally, I have not the slightest doubt that the marginal reading here should be adopted: “A friend loves at all times, and is born as a brother for adversity." There is no attempt here to define a brother. The statement, "a brother is born for adversity," would be inadequate and indeed inaccurate, as a definition of a brother; but the statement that "a friend . . . is born as a brother for adversity" is a graphic illustration and application of the inclusive truth: "A friend loves at all times." This statement is easily read, and is accepted theoretically, quite generally. Let it be applied. Then two startling questions will arise, first, a question as to whether I am really a friend to anyone; and second, a question as to how many real friends I have. As to the second, yes, I have a few. Their love never falters, never wavers, in spite of my meanness, my stupidity, my sin. For them, with tears and laughter, I thank God. As to the first, I can only say, God help me to be a friend in that full way to those about me. All consideration of this great definition leads us at last to one place, to One Person. He is the Friend of sinners. There comment ceases. Let the heart WONDER and WORSHIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment