Translate

Friday, June 2, 2017

GODLINESS SECRET

GODLINESS SECRET

“According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.” 2 Pet. 1:3


Note the repeated references to “all these things” (2 Pet. 1:3, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15). God has provided everything we need for a fruitful Christian life through the marvelous promises of His Word. See 1 Cor. 3:21-23 where all things were gifts from God.
“to glory and virtue.” This phrase can mean, “by His glory and virtue.” The beauty and strength of character seen in Jesus actually draw men to Himself for salvation.

The real secret of godliness is unveiled (Col. 1:26-27). Its source is the imparted life of God in the person of His Son (2 Pet. 1:3). It displays itself in outward conduct but it draws its life from the inner resources of Him who is godliness, like God in every respect because He is God (Col. 2:2). In an earlier epistle Paul places this secret in bold contrast with the godliness of the Old Testament. "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20 ASV). This secret now made known to men is the greatest fact of the Christian faith.

Why the seeming constant failure of those in the Old testament? Paul places this secret in bold contrast with the godliness of the Old Testament. "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20 ASV). This crucifixion with Christ separates the men from the boys and this secret now made known to men is the greatest fact of the Christian faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment