Translate

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

THE EXPLANATION OF THE CONTENT OF THE BOOK

The Explanation of the Content of the Book
"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
"I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."
"Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;"
"The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."

The vision that has passed before the seer is so tremendous in its portent that he is unable to resist a complete physical collapse. He falls at the feet of this One as dead (cf. Dan. 10:8-9). This is the holy apostle John responding thus in the presence of the glorified and blazing deity of the One who is like a son of man (17a).
8 "Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength."
9 "Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground."

Identification Comes First for Explanation
17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
18 "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."



The Right Hand is Laid Upon John for Reassurance
(17b,  cf. Matt. 17:6-7). "And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid." "And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid."

John knew this before, and it was for reassurance then after the blinding transfiguration. This is certainly evidence of his humanity and thus relation to his own disciples.

The Voice of Encouragement Accompanies the Hand of Reassurance
(17c, cf. Luke 5:11; 8:50; 12:7, 32) "And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him."
"But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole."
"But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

How often John had heard this voice. As the hand was laid upon him the voice also spoke. Thus is brought together the humani­ty and deity of Christ in this gesture.
The Eternal Sonship of This Person is Claimed
"Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
Three times in the Old Testament this claim is made for God (The Lord Jehovah) and marks deity (Isa. 41:4; 44:6; 48:12). And three times in this epistle the same claim is made for Christ (1:17; 2:8; 22:13).
"Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he."
"Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."
"Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last."
While John might have been mistaken in the vision, the person leaves no double in the mind of John, for he identifies himself as the first and the last, the ancient of days. Being the first, all things have their origin in him; being the last, all things have their goal in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment