Translate

Thursday, March 30, 2017

END DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS


LINES IN THE SAND-END DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS

“To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some. And I do all things for the sake of the gospel, that I may become a fellow partaker of it.” 1 Cor. 9:22-23



That would seem a lofty application of the principle of accommodation, and it is somewhat startling. Moreover, it is none the less so when interpreted by Paul's illustrations of its working in his own case; to the Jews, under law, he had become as one under law; to the Gentile, without law, he had become as one without law; to the weak he had become weak. The question arises as to how far we may go in this direction. Many applications might be suggested which would seem to us in danger of imperiling our testimony and our usefulness. A second look at the apostolic word will save us from all doubt in the matter. Paul became all things to all men that he might save some. The purpose in view must for ever qualify our accommodations. To go so far with men as to imperil our chances of saving them is wrong. Thus the idea of these words is, not that the end justifies the means, but rather that the end qualifies the means. In our modern life, it means that I may travel sympathetically with men along the pilgrimage of their doubts but I must not go so far as to deny my faith. If I do, I cannot help them to faith. Or again, it means that in order to save men I may enter into their social life and share their recreations, but never in such ways as to imperil my power to help them in spiritual matters.
Paul’s obsession to “gain” people for Christ had constrained him to learn how to approach all types of prospects in terms of their own particular backgrounds and concerns. This can be a great example to modern Christians provided they do not carry it beyond the bounds set by the apostle. That is, his purpose was always “for the gospel’s sake” (1 Cor. 9:23), and it was vital to him that the gospel was not “another gospel” and that the Christ he preached was not “another Jesus” (2 Cor. 11:4). Being “made all things to all men” does not involve compromise of God’s truth concerning Christ and His gospel, as is often the case today. People are not really won to the true Christ and His saving gospel by compromising with the beliefs and behaviors of the ungodly world. Lines are drawn in the sand on how far to go with the gospel. Many draw people to another Jesus with another gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment