Translate

Saturday, April 30, 2016

THE PERPETUATION OF THE ORDINANCE OF FEETWASHING

The Perpetuation of the Ordinance of Feetwashing

John 13:12-18
"So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13  Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14  If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16  Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17  If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
18  I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me."
 
 
lc. The dramatic element in planning the perpetuation of Feetwashing. Vs. 12a. "When therefore" is the Greek.

ld. The washing of the feet is finished. The example of the Lord in His teaching ministry is done. His humiliation is over. Phil. 2:9.

2d. The garments are again donned by the Lord. This symbolizes His entrance into glory which He laid aside.
Luke 24:26; Heb. 2:9; John 17:1, 5.

3d. The seating at the table is resumed. This symbolizes the seat He takes when exalted on High.
Heb. 1:3; Phil. 2:9-11. Eph. 1:20-21.

2c. The Declaration of the Basis for the Perpetuation of Feetwashing.
Vss. 12b-13

ld. The Person and His performance. This is not a question but a statement and should read: "you know what I have done unto you." This is in order. They have just seen what He did. They know intellectually the operations through which He and they have passed, but they do not know experientially the spiritual cleansing which this symbolizes.

They know the Person who has performed this task, and they are coming to know more of Him daily. Later they shall know even more when the Holy Spirit comes upon them.

2d. The Position and its authority. "Ye call me . . . Lord . . . and ye say well; for so I am."

The Lord is One who stands in the place of sovereign authority over His servants. He has the right to command and to expect obedience. They owned Him as Lord, and this was doubtless because they recognized intuitively that He held this place. But He did not allow them to doubt. He definitely asserts that He was their Lord.

3d. The Teacher and His example. "Ye call me the teacher . . . and ye say well; for so I am."

The Teacher is One with doctrinal authority. He is one who not only has information which He is able to impart, but because it is authoritative, He should be believed and followed as one pointing to the proper way in which to walk.

These disciples also recognized in Christ the fact that He was the Supreme Teacher. And they had joined Him as the one with the words of eternal life.
And they were not wrong. The Lord himself affirmed that they were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment